Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Alpacas

8x10 oil

     My electric went out in the storm last night.  I woke to a freezing house and when I finally forced myself to get out of the warm bed I quickly grabbed my favorite alpaca sweater...the warmest sweater I own.  Alpaca is an amazing fiber.  It is softer, warmer, and lighter weight than sheep's wool.  All cozy in my alpaca sweater, I thought of this painting.  It is not a new painting, but I don't think I have posted it on any blogs before.

     I painted this at the Bent Pine Alpaca Farm in Mechanicsburg where I joined Ralph Hocker's class in a painting session.  This was painted entirely on location and is more of a gesture study of the animals who would not stand still for me, no matter that I asked nicely.  They are funny animals.  "Tuxedo"  is the black one who stood tall watching the rest of the group.  I remember it was a hot June day and the alpacas must have been miserable under all that warm fleece.  I watched them roll around on the ground as the farmer sprayed them with a garden hose to cool them off.  I am sure they were happy when shearing time came along!   

     I am happy for the gift of their wool...
                                                 ...and so happy that my electric is on again!

No comments:

Post a Comment